Wichita State basketball’s TV options leave some fans frustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State basketball’s TV options leave some fans frustrated

After Wichita State’s men’s basketball game at Missouri State earlier this month, John Brewer received a six-minute voicemail on his office phone.

The fan let Brewer know that showing a game on ESPN’s Internet platform isn’t good enough for the nationally ranked Shockers.

The caller, Brewer said, didn’t leave a phone number. That is unfortunate because Brewer is happy to explain WSU’s television situation, complicated as it may be.
    With the rising prominence of ESPN3.com, ESPN’s Internet-based network, this is a time for education and adjustment.

“He believes that with the growth of Wichita State basketball, every game should be on national telecast,” said Brewer, WSU’s associate athletic director for marketing. “We feel the same way. Unfortunately, that’s just not reality.”
    Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2014/01/21/324...#storylink=cpy

Was thankful to Paul for writing the story - explained a lot.

Comment

I like having games on ESPN3. Better than KS22.

Comment

Honestly...I can't complain a bit. Due to living out of state...I've seen all the Shocker games this season minus only 2 games that ESPN3 did not have on. I've watched the Shockers on everything from CBS, FOX, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, CBS alternative, and ESPN alternative all from DirecTV. I can also say the same about last season and the previous season as well. In fact...in the last 3 years...I believe I only have NOT been able to watch the Shocks probably 7 or 8 times total. ESPN3 is the "savior" outside of the local blacked-out Wichita market. So nationally...the Shockers are on tons of times!!!!
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Roku.

1) Buy one.
          2) Hook it to your television.
          3) Install the WatchESPN channel.
          4) Tell the WatchESPN channel who your cable provider is (Cox or Uverse).

Enjoy watching the Shockers play in high def, regardless whether you are on Cox or Uverse. I believe you could even take your Roku with you if you are traveling and STILL watch them live even if you are not home. Sit in your hotel anywhere in the country and watch the Shockers with your Roku.

The cheapest Roku, at Walmart stores, is like $58. Not per month. One time purchase. Even the cheapest one is HD I believe.

Roku.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I prefer the ESPN3 games to Cox 22. At least people outside the state can watch and I don't have to listen to Bruce and Craig. However, this sentence pretty much sums up our place in the Valley. “The one school in the Valley that was very against the ESPN3 games two years ago when this contract was negotiated was Wichita State,” Brewer said.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockeriffic View Post
              “The one school in the Valley that was very against the ESPN3 games two years ago when this contract was negotiated was Wichita State,” Brewer said.
              That caught me off guard as well. What what WSU thinking back then??? Weird. ESPN3 has been great for the Shockers. So many more people can tune in and watch. Again....what in the world were they thinking that ESPN3 would not be a good thing????
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

The only bad thing about WSU's options right now is that not every game has been on ESPN3. That's been annoying. Had to catch a couple of streamed games on other sites.

ESPN3 has been incredible. I haven't lived in Wichita in six years now ... the reason I'm still able to be a diehard WSU fan is because of ESPN3. Back when I was at FSU, it was impossible to watch WSU on TV more than two or three times a year outside of the state. I'd get to catch a few games when I went back for Christmas, watch a few televised games, and then wait for the postseason.

I'd much rather we were on national TV more, but we need a new conference for that. ESPN doesn't want to show us beating down Drake or SIU.
                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                  That caught me off guard as well. What what WSU thinking back then??? Weird. ESPN3 has been great for the Shockers. So many more people can tune in and watch. Again....what in the world were they thinking that ESPN3 would not be a good thing????
                  The part WSU was against is that ESPN3 gets exclusive games. WSU is more than happy to let ESPN3 put the Cox 22 produced games online for the nation to watch with Ks and parts of Mo blacked out to make Cox happy. My guess is that maybe the school needs to cover part of the production cost when on ESPN3 versus no need to cover production cost for Cox games per the article?

Comment

I think WSU does need to try and get 3 or 4 games a year on KWCH to go along with their COX 22 package (the way it was until a few years ago). And it sounds like KWCH is very interested in doing this. They just need to figure out a way to get it worked out with COX. There are people in Wichita that don't have cable at all and there are rural areas that don't even have the opportunity to get COX. It is good exposure for WSU to have some games on regular TV.

I do like espn3, it has been a good addition to the overall package.

Comment

FIVE more years with Cox22? Crap, say it ain't so. I'll be removing my fingernails s-l-o-w-l-y, where's my pliers...........

Comment

I will also add this, with the addition of ESPN3, I think I've only had to watch Shockervision one time this year. Count me in the camp of those that enjoy the easy access to the games.

Comment

With modern technology, why can't "exclusive" ESPN3 black out only the areas where Cox 22 actually is available?
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
                            I think WSU does need to try and get 3 or 4 games a year on KWCH to go along with their COX 22 package (the way it was until a few years ago). And it sounds like KWCH is very interested in doing this. They just need to figure out a way to get it worked out with COX. There are people in Wichita that don't have cable at all and there are rural areas that don't even have the opportunity to get COX. It is good exposure for WSU to have some games on regular TV.

I do like espn3, it has been a good addition to the overall package.
                            Why would COX do this? They have rights to the games to get people to subscribe to their service.

Comment

Can anyone explain why several games ago I was able to stream the home game on my iphone but my wife was not able to watch it at home due to blackout on our Roku which is essentially using the same app? Weird.

Comment

Working...
                              X